Thursday, August 20, 2009

First Time of Separation!

After I was able to get the bus together and out of the garage I was able to bring the '58 out of storage and into the garage. A few days later I got it up on stands to get the wheels of and really see what I was up against. I have never actually be underneath it to get a good look. It was always peering under her from my knees.

I have always known the driver's side rear quarter was going to have to be swapped out. The metal is too thin and stretched. From this damage there has been a fair amount of rust allowed to develope in the lower section of the panel at the runningboard mounting surface. But to my surprise the heater channels are not that bad. I think it will just need the under side towards the rear replaced. The botom picture you can see the damage from the inside. Also you can spot the rust that has made it's way through for behind the body mount plate in the wheelwell.

 The other major are of concern is the passenger's side front quarter panel. It to was hit some time in it's history. I am either going to have it cut out and completely replaced or have a skilled body guy see if he can work it back into it's correct shape. The outside doesn't look to bad because of the previous bondo job. Once I remove all the filler I can see how bad it really is.


Next I was finally able to lift the body off the pan with breaking only two bolts. Doing this job solo I and to call on the rafters and garage door to give me a hand.


Now the pan awaits being stripped, pan halves replaced, shaved of all unwanted items, fitted with a new fuel line, a few need bracket and tabs welded on and finally

Monday, August 17, 2009

Destiny of the '58

Since the day I bought the car I have changed my mind numerous times on what it's outcome would be. The first plan was to turn this thought to be rough car into a period correct Gasser style drag bug.

So all the exterior body pieces were located to convert the car. Front hood, flared front and rear fenders, empi style scooped decklid, and c-pillar scoops.

Then even 13" Center Lines were located.

Here are a few pictures of test fitting of the Cal-Parts wheels and steel German fenders.

Next plan would see it be a hot looking street car with a well under powered engine(1641), with intentions to see it through to be a the fully restored over powered car it should be.

Then lastly it was set out to be a sort of hot motor'd, tall tranny freeway burner layed on the ground, tuck those 'oh so hard to fit' Cal-Part wheels. Which meant an 8.5" narrowed beam and the rearend being narrowed 3" each side just to tuck the under stock steel fenders. Well I got as far as the beam, but just couldn't make the jump into cutting up the rear of the car.

Now the picture above is tucking a 6" Cal-Part with about 2.5" back spacing on a 175/55 tire.

So now after all these steps and phases it will be returning to a over powered street car that will be right at home on the strip. I am in hopes of sub 12 sec. times. We'll see though. As for now the restoration has begun!

Intro of the '58 bug to be built.

This car was purchased off a bulletin board at Wolfsburg West, while I was buying needed parts to finish my 1959 sunroof beetle. Brandon, the owner of the '58 at the time, was psting the ad as I was standing there. I inquired about it at asked him if I could see the car now. So a short drive up I-15 to Riverside to where the car was located. I purchased it on site. We loaded onto Brandon's trailer and headed to my house. All for the small price of $350.

This is how it looked when I got it home. Someone thought it a good idea to cut the original German fenders, front and rear, including rear apron. I am not sure if they were trying to make a baja bug or to replicate the drag bugs of old.